Sunday, June 9, 2013

Blog Post #4

21st Century Learning and Communication Tools by Haley Torries


While there are numerous 21st century Learning and communicating tools, I decided to focus on WebMD and Blackboard.


WebMD


WebMD is one of the more popular websites in the medical industry due to the ease of finding the resources located there. All the information on this site can be reached in these categories; A-Z, Drugs and Treatments, Women, Men, Children's Health, News & Blogs and Message Boards. The information found on this site is well-research and comprehensive. Anyone is able to search for what causes certain symptoms or how to treat any disease a person might have. The Message Board allows visitors to discuss remedies and information they have learned from doctors all over the world. I will be able to use this in my classroom to help students learn about different types of diseases. I believe it is important for students to understand that there are many different diseases in the world. They also need to understand that some illnesses can be prevented by good health care; such as lung and heart diseases. Some illnesses people are born with. WebMD can give students an awareness of the daily lives people with these diseases live with. Children with a better understanding of these diseases are less likely to bully. This will help the students lead healthier lifestyles.

This is a picture of art showing Blackboard learn.

Blackboard


Educators from around the world are using Blackboard to reach students in personalized, new ways. Blackboard keeps the educator's up to date and involved with different techniques on how to keep students interested. This is a great resource for teachers to use whenever they want to consult the whole class about an update on course materials, calendar changes, ect. Grades can also be posted on this site. Blackboard has e-text. Students can also use voice narrative of the text if desired. It has interactive, reinforcing activities, like matching games, etc. This helps the students enjoy learning. This would be a great tool for me to use in my future classroom.


21st Century Learning and Communication Tools by Paula Lu

As a future elementary teacher, the tool I would use in the classroom is YouTube EDU. YouTube EDU is a similar site to YouTube, but it is for learners and educators. As YouTube EDU calls it, it is a “global video classroom.” It gives students the chance to find short lessons on material they might have missed or do not understand well. It also gives educators the ability to teach without having to be physically there. This also is related to flipping the classroom. (add link) I do not like the idea of flipping the classroom because I believe that kids will not learn that way due to the fact that I believe kids will not take the time out of their day to do the work. In a way it is pretty similar to having homework, which no kid is happy with. But, I like the idea of teaching without having to be physically there. Imagine a child who is hospitalized for whatever reason and cannot attend school. Videos of the lesson will allow the student to be able to learn and keep up with school work at home. One way I would incorporate YouTube EDU into the classroom is by creating videos. I think that a good project would be to have the students group up to learn a specific topic and help them create a video to post on YouTube. I believe that this is a fun way to teach the students and help them learn the material. It teaches students how to work in a group and how to work with others. I chose YouTube EDU because I believe this is a good way to help keep students interested. I think that most elementary students are very visual learners and this would help them in the process. You might ask, “What if the students do not want to watch the video?” I would say, If I were to show a video in class, I would make sure that it is fun, entertaining, and interesting. I know that sometimes educational videos can be extremely boring, so it is my duty to pick the ones I know they will watch.

WIKI by Kabrina Harris

Wikispace is a great collaborative site that can be used by students and teachers. Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create and edit web page content using any web browser. The site allows people to view others work and edit it. This tool reminds me a lot of Google drive. Teachers can give assignments to students and allow them to work on it as a group outside of the classroom. I would use wiki in my class for the purpose of group research projects. I would expect my students to do their own research and share it with their group through wikis. If a group member sees a mistake in someone’s work they could edit it. The benefits I would expect from using wikis are my students will learn to effectively collaborate with each other and edit others work. I chose wikis because its a great collaborate tool that could be used by anyone at anytime. Wiki also promotes group work.

21st Century Learning and Communication Tools by Kaitlyn Parker

When I begin teaching elementary education with my second grade students I want to utilize technology to keep them interested and engaged, as to maximize their learning. I found two learning tools I would love to use in my classroom to occupy my SMART board. The first tool is the SMART table collaborative learning center. This interactive table lets students work in groups and use visuals, auditory, and physical elements to learn. The table is multi-touch and multi-user which means that more than one student can use it at the same time. Students can use this to help each other learn material and also learn good teamwork skills.

The second tool I found that would be useful in my 21st century classroom is a SMART response interactive response system . This is a wireless handheld device or clicker that students can each have at their desks. It has large, easy to understand buttons for the young minds I will be teaching and is great for all reading levels. Teachers can ask a question on their SMART board and have students choose an answer on their clickers and teachers will receive instant feedback. This allows them to see if all students are engaged in the lesson and to also see where the class is having trouble understanding material. This is also a much more quick and efficient way of evaluating students than giving problems via paper and pencil and then the teacher having to grade the problems and tally up the results that the SMART response interactive response system can give in seconds. I hope to be able to utilize one or both of these learning tools in my classroom in the future so my students can learn and be more engaged in the lessons. I think this is a fun and exciting way to get students interested in the lessons and interacting in the classroom.

6 comments:

  1. I do not like WebMD as a tool. For a elementary student, I do not think that they will understand or be interested in learning about that type of stuff. I just do not see how it relates to children. I think it is a good tool for adults or parents with children but not kids.

    For blackboard, I think that it is a great tool for students to go and find information on things related to the class. I think it keeps students updated on what is going on in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WebMD may be useful for older students and adults as a resource for medical information but I'm not sure how it pertains to a elementary classroom or how accurate the information on the website is.

    Blackboard seems like a good resource for children to see updates and see their progress and grades and be able to share those grades with their parents also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haley,

    You said: "Children with a better understanding of these diseases are less likely to bully. This will help the students lead healthier lifestyles. " I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't think just because students have a better knowledge of diseases makes them automatically less likely to be bullied.

    I've never really used blackboard, but it looks promising. I'm not sure if blackboard is free for all of the features that you mention. If it isn't free, how much does it cost to be a user? Next time try to elaborate more on your thoughts of these tools. Do you have any personal experience with these tools?

    Good job on your links and your alt and title modifiers!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Children with a better understanding of these diseases are less likely to bully. This will help the students lead healthier lifestyles. " Some of the children who would bully another child because he/she has autism or anything else that causes them to be different, might think against it if they knew why the child was the way he/she is. It might not help all the cases of bullying, but it might diminish the numbers some.

      I found the cost of Blackboard is around $130,000 for the school per year. I have no personal experience with blackboard but after my research I found it to be a good tool. There are many different tools out there that are just like Blackboard. I think in order for me to choose one over another, I would need to use all of them and see from experience which one is more efficient.

      Delete
  4. Wed MD should not be used for lower level students.I do agree with you on WebMD helping reducing the chances of bullying. Children tend to be accepting of diseases when they know more about it. Most children bully others when they are uneducated about disease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How would you use WEB MD in your classroom? Be specific.

    Is Blackboard a course management system (used by may school systems) or a tool that can be used by an individual teacher? If it is the latter you certainly did not explain it to me in a way that I could understand its use by an individual teacher in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete